Wednesday 13 March 2024

I might be right, I might be wrong.


 I love reddit, but sometimes it baffles me, and also remind me why I don't socialize with other people online, be it in the craft community or any other community. 

I am well aware that I am a serial deleter of posts on reddit, but that is mostly because I feel stupid, or worry if it's the right place I made it. 

But sometimes I remove it from different reasons, like I did on craftsnark, and no it was not because ppl disagree with me, but because if I am really not in the right (which is highly possible) I see no reason for my post to clutter up shit. 

And It's not like I don't see their point, but I simply disagree. But I also know that if I were to die on that hill, I would take on a whole fucking community of die hard crafters, which I am not dumb enough to do, then I would rather just shut up, but it doesn't change my opinion.

So the whole debacle was about me wondering about how it made sense that Hobbii on the Danish site at least, had the virus shawl available as a free pattern, designed by Tina Sommer Hansen. And I happen to know that the virus shawl is originally coined/created by Julia Marquard - whom still sells her pattern on ravelry.

And as I said in the post on craftsnark, I know that everyone and their grandma made a virusshawl, you can find hundreds of videos on how to - but Hobbii is not 'some youtuber'

One pointed out that the original had picot edging, and the hobbii one did not, and since I never did boy Julia's original pattern I don't know if it's listed as 'optional edging' or not. 

And another commenter said that the virus shawl was a 'common thing' like the grandma square. And that was when I deleted my post, because either I didn't make myself clear, or I am in so deep dissagreement with these people that I can't even.

DUDE there is a difference between me making a video, and then hobbii offering up the pattern as theirs. And really doesn't it take more than a different edging? wow. I need to test that out some day, and rip off someones pattern, just making or ignoring the edging and see what ppl say. 

It's funny to me that ppl are all up in arms over ai accounts, and then don't seem to be worried about large corporations blatantly ripping off smaller creators, even if the virus pattern is all over - that is just no excuse. I take it that Julia don't have a patent on the pattern, and I don't even know if you can get a patent on a crochet pattern - which is why the non-picot pattern is not made by Tina Sommer Hansen - I wonder if she is also the one credited as the creator on the US site, or if that pattern is even offered there because more ppl would know about Julia obviously. 

I am not about to engage in a 'what instigates a claim to a pattern' debate with these people. But I do maintain that I am not sure this is kosher, and to state that the virus pattern is an 'institution' by now, is the lamest cop-out ever. By that logic everyone can make a Hermes bag knock off, no problems - because Hermes is a institution. wtf


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *